IF IT GROWS FROM A BULB, IT IS PROBABLY TOXIC.
I’m loving the spring blooms! They put a smile on my face. Naturally, I feel like a guilty witch saying that some of these pretty flowers can be very dangerous for dogs. Puppies are particularly at risk because they love to explore and chew everything in sight. Unfortunately, such a lesson can backfire, so you need to be aware of the plants and signs of poisoning.
Remember that the bulbs are most toxic. Leaves and flowers are also problematic, but to a lesser degree. However, it is important to seek immediate veterinary help if your dog chews or ingest any part of the plant.
Snowdrops, especially the bulbs, stems and leaves, contain phenanthridine alkaloids galantamine and lycorine that cause vomiting, salivation, diarrhoea, seizures, low blood pressure and lack of coordination.
Tulips & hyacinths bulbs contain calcium oxalates and lactones. Signs of poisonings include drooling, mouth irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, fast heart beat, breathing difficulties. High doses can be fatal.
Crocuses from the Iridacea family usually appear in spring. They are less toxic than the crocus-like flowers from the Liliaceae family that bloom in September but produce the highly toxic leaves in the spring. The spring plants can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. The Liliaceae crocuses lead to intestinal bleeding, bloody diarrhoea, seizures, liver and kidney damage, breathing difficulties and death.
Daffodil flowers, leaves and bulbs contain lycorine and galantamine that cause irritation of the mouth and digestive tract and leads to vomiting. Other signs are drooling, diarrhoea, stomach ache, breathing difficulties and abnormal heart beat.
If you suspect that your dog chewed or swallowed any of the above – take him to the vet as soon as possible before any signs of poisoning appear. It’s better to be smiled at for being a paranoid puppy mum (and trust me, most vets will not judge you at all!) than wait and wonder.