Easter chocolates & your dog

Chocolate-filled weekend is coming, so I wanted to write a little post about chocolate poisoning (that’s the spirit, right?)

Most people already know that chocolate is toxic for dogs. The darker the chocolate, the less of it is needed to make your dog ill.

White chocolate is not as dangerous as the milk and dark varieties because it contains practically no theobromine (about 0.75mg per 100g vs 1600mg per 100g of cooking dark chocolate). However, white chocolate can still cause diarrhoea and vomiting due to high fat content.

Signs of poisoning can take up to 12 hours to appear and may take up to several days to clear up.

Signs of chocolate poisoning include…
…vomiting
…diarrhoea
…heavy breathing
…increased heart rate
…increased urination
…anxiety and restlessness
…muscle tremors
…seizures
…sudden death

If your dog ate chocolate, take them to the vets immediately. Tell the vet how much chocolate was eaten. Take the wrapper with you for extra information. The vet will stimulate vomiting using hydrogen peroxide and give the dog activated charcoal tablets to absorb theobromine (do not try to do it at home unless you know how!)

Avoid the risk by keeping any form of chocolate out of your dog’s reach. Remind your guests and kids not to give your spaniel any chocolate-containing treats.

Carob is a chocolate-like ingredient that can be given to dogs. If you choose to buy carob dog treats, always check the label for unwanted ingredients such as sugar, derivatives of animal or vegetable origin, milk, unspecified fats and oils, just to name a few.

Better still, stick with super safe and nutritious options like carrots, eggs, yummy cooked chicken or dog biscuits. Trust me, your cocker will not complain!

Photo source: image by Vratsagirl from Pixabay